SpamAssassin Prefs File problem

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Tue Jun 8 01:15:29 IST 2004

Shahid Hussain wrote:

>>| For some reason when I recieve spam mail, at the header say:
>>| X-ZoneWave.NET-MailScanner-SpamCheck:
>>
>>On a side-note, there are some broken virus/filtering packages that will
>>reject mail from MailScanner if there is a dot "." in your org-name.  I
>>notice you  have "ZoneWave.NET" - DONT use the dot, it's only there for
>>humans really, replace it with a hyphen maybe or just leave the ".net"
>>bit off.
>>
>>Check the archives for this list - this issue has been covered many times
>
> :)
>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>James
>

> ahh thanks for letting me know :) other thing i want to tell you something..
>
> When I visited to http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/ to test my email
> system.. then I checked maillog (tail -f /var/log/maillog) - it flooded with
> "SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, failure n of 20"
>
> what the best way to solve this, scan each email once at time or something.
>

> It just would not complete to scan all the email and it take forever, I just
> cleared all the email queue.

Try increasing your Spamassassin time-out (Look for a line like
"SpamAssassin Timeout = ??" in MailScanner.conf).  Our gateway has a
Xeon 1.2GHz and 1Gb RAM with a 200Mbps Internet connection and our
time-out is set to 80 seconds.  We'd rather have the occasional slow
message than not have it scanned.

What hardware is your MailScanner system running on?  How much mail do
you process?  Are you using any remote black-lists?  If so, which ones?
   What sort of Internet do you have?  Are you using Bayes?

There are a number of reasons why Spamassassin will time-out; most
commonly it is due to RBL's being slow, which in turn may be a problem
with the speed of your Internet connection.

The other common problem is simply that the hardware you're running
isn't keeping up with your mail volume.  We've found RAM to be the
biggest performance killer, or more correctly, the lack of it.  Each of
our MailScanner children is about 40Mbytes and we run 5 children = 200MB
+ 19MB for the parent.  If your server is running out of RAM and using
swap, your system will go to it's knees - even if you have VERY fast
hard drives.  Our system has 76Gb of U320 SCSI in a hardware RAID5 with
128MB of cache on the RAID controller (SmartArray 5i for the curious),
and it was swamped when it was paging; upgraded 512MB -> 1GB RAM and we
easily churn through 40,000+ messages a day :)

Cheers,

James

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk