Thoughts on new Bayes idea

Max Kipness mkipness at GENIANT.COM
Fri Jun 4 16:08:23 IST 2004

I've been pondering this idea for a while, but wanted some opinions on
how feasible it would be...and the load it would cause.

I currently have all users that receive spam that bypassed MailScanner,
simply forward the email to spam at ourdomain.com. The email then got
blacklisted and there was an option to put 'domain' in the subject
header to black list the entire domain. This worked well, but the black
list got up to around 1600 emails/domains and I started to get many SA
time outs. This was before implementing Bayes which is working great, if
not too good with false positives, but that's another story.

My idea is to basically archive every email that enters the system
(through MS) for a period of a day or so. I've got a script that deletes
all emails older than a time specified from an mbox file. Then using my
script from above, have users forward the email to spam at ourdomain.com,
have a new script fetch that email out of the archive and feed it to
Bayes.

Any thoughts on this? Is it ridiculous?

Most of my users are on various Exchange servers, and there really is no
easy way to get the email fed into bayes. I know you can do a public
folder, but then you have to train each user how to get it there, and
they have to open the public folder tree, etc. Using IMAP is even more
administration. I've found that simply forwarding the email somewhere is
very easy for them.

Max

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk