Spam Bounce action issues

Alex Neuman alex at nkpanama.com
Thu Jun 3 20:00:48 IST 2004

Two questions then:

1. How would your system distinguish fake and non-fake bounces?

and most importantly,

2. How would other people (i.e., me) distinguish bounces from faked headers
vs. bounces from actual spam?

Those who choose to bounce spam back to senders just create more problems
than they solve, while using more bandwidth than they should. How can anyone
tell that the spam came from a specific sender or it was a fake (a joe job)?

And if two such people bounce each other, and they think that their messages
are spam, then bounce them back... Hmmm... This is a bad situation waiting
to happen.

Reminds me of a problem with a virus faking a mail from Person B to Person A
(who was on vacation) a message, and Person A's misconfigured vacation
program sent a message back to Person B (who was, coincidentally, also on
vacation, using the same misconfigured vacation program), and vice versa,
until high cpu loads and low disk space forced them to fix their
configuration.

Bouncing bad content (like .exe files where policy says otherwise) is a good
idea. Bouncing spammy messages is still problematic, IMHO.