block F-Secure "Internal error: Bad file"-files

Patrik Bäckström pb at WANTECH.SE
Thu Jun 3 14:40:00 IST 2004

Unfortunately i don't have a copy of the file :-(

Since it's not detected as a virus it's not placed in the quarantine. I'll
have to ask the recipient(s) and see if they still have a copy.

Anyway, here is the messages logged by fsav and mailscanner:

Jun  3 10:46:09 hostname fsavd: Failed to scan file
<snip>/mailscanner/tmp/7066/./0C3511C64AD/ReMailer-6418.doc.zip: Internal
error: Bad file [ArchiveScanner].

Jun  3 10:46:09 hostname MailScanner[7066]: 21 files could not be scanned

If you look in the fsav documentation
(http://www.f-secure.com/products/anti-virus/linux/fsav.shtml) there is a
bunch of different error-messages that indicate that the scan failed for
this or that reason. It would be neat if there was an option i MailScanner
to block files if and when the virusscanner exits with one of these
error-messages.

Even if F-Secure fixes the problem with extracting some types of ZIP-files,
there could be some other reasons for the scanner to fail and then i would
rather see the message being blocked than let through unscanned.

/pb