Filename User Report Text Used for Virus: Rule Matching

Derek Winkler dwinkler at ALGORITHMICS.COM
Tue Jun 1 19:03:15 IST 2004

No sure if this is a feature or a bug...

Had a user who wanted to get past the senders blocking rules and decided to
rename a .zip to .zi.

On my system I have a rule in filename.rules.conf which blocks this
extension as a possible Sobig variant.

I also use a ruleset for "Quarantine Infections".

Turns out it used the user report text in filename.rules.conf to match
against Virus: lines in the ruleset.

Since filename.rules.conf uses 'Potential "WORM_SOBIG" Virus Variant' as the
user report text and the rules have the line "Virus: Sobig no" the
attachment was not quarantined.

Not really a problem now that I know about it but maybe adding a comment to
filename.rules.conf that user report text is used to match against Virus:
rules would be helpful.

Thanks,

Derek Winkler
Security Administrator