No virus checking for certain accounts?

Alex Neuman alex at nkpanama.com
Thu Jul 29 22:01:51 IST 2004

Or disarm.

-----Original Message-----
Of Ugo Bellavance
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 3:45 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: No virus checking for certain accounts?

Brett Charbeneau wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
>         Our automated library catalog can, upon request from users, send
> information on books in our collection to an email address.
>         Unfortunately, ClamAV sees the outgoing mail, as a {Dangerous
> Content?} HTML message.
>         This is going to confuse a lot of our patrons.
>         I've tried converting the HTML to text as it is listed in
> MailScanner.conf, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
>         Is there a way to get MS or ClamAC to ignore outgoing email from
> certain email addresses?

You cannot use rulesets for virus scanning.  If it is caught by clamav
as a virus, you'll have to change what you send, since it might
effectively represent a threat for recipients.  If it is only caught by
mailscanner you can do something though.

To do what you want, you must create a ruleset for this parameter :

# Do you want to scan the messages for potentially dangerous content?
# Setting this to "no" will disable all the content-based checks except
# Virus Scanning, Allow Partial Messages and Allow External Message Bodies.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Dangerous Content Scanning = yes

It has been available for maybe a couple of versions, but I can't tell
which one.

There are also other settings, more precise, on the type of tags to block.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk