MailScanner + Sendmail Configuration Problems

Mike Andrews mandrews at FD9NS01.OKLADOT.STATE.OK.US
Thu Jul 29 19:10:52 IST 2004

Hi, and welcome.

You might shut MailScanner down and do `ps aux|grep sendmail` to see what,
if any, sendmail
processes are running. I'll bet a can of CocaCola that you have a set of
sendmail processes
(MTA and MSA) running from your boot-time startups. The "cannot bind"
message is
symptomatic of that.

--
Mike Andrews
Information Security
Technical Services Division
Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation
mandrews at odot.org

"Renata D. Vieira" <rdvieira at IMPACTOOLS.COM>
Sent by: MailScanner mailing list <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
07/29/2004 02:52 PM
Please respond to
MailScanner mailing list <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>

MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
cc

Subject
[MAILSCANNER] MailScanner + Sendmail Configuration Problems

Hello all,

I'm new in the list and I'm needing some help. Allow me tell you my
problem:

I'm trying to configure MailScanner 4.29.7 + Sendmail 8.12.8 + FreeBSD 4.8
Release according to the links bellow, but this integration is not working
very well.

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/conf.shtml
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/sendmail.shtml
http://www.qitc.net/support/mailscanner/#MailScanner

When I start MailScanner the following error appears in the file
/var/log/messages and /var/log/maillog:

"Jul 26 11:46:48 mail sm-mta[39224]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA: cannot bind: Address already in use
Jul 26 11:46:48 mail sm-mta[39224]: daemon MTA: problem creating SMTP
socket"

Surely, I'm doing something wrong and I'd like some help to find out the
mistake. I think my mistake is in the Sendmail startup. According to the
steps in the link
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/sendmail.shtml, I need
change the script that start sendmail, but I'm not sure about this script.
Is this script the file sendmail.cf? If it is, I didn't find the lines
"sendmail -bd -q15m".

Thanks for any help.

Best Regards,

Renata D. Vieira
Support Analyst
Impactools - The wise solution that fits.
www.impactools.com

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk