Weird thing happening everything 3-4 weeks...

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Thu Jul 29 18:21:59 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hello everyone. I keep running into something every 3-4 weeks on my
Mailscanner server that I cannot figure what is going on. I have an idea,
but I am not 100% sure and thought i'd post here.

My server has been up for a little over 3 months and is running great.
My setup:

MailGateway setup
FreeBSD 4.9
Sendmail 8.12.11
Mailscanner 4.29-7 (recently patched)
Clamav-0.70

What is happening is that there is quite a long delay for email to be
delivered to our internal mail server. Normal times range between 0:05 and
:15 and mail zips in and out quickly. But when this 'odd' thing pops up,
the delay for mail being delivered to the internal mail server varies
between 0:35 to 1+ minute. Even outbound mail seems to take a little longer
than normal to be delivered.

My first thought is DNS. It only makes sense. But the problem is, I can't
figure out what.

The mailgateway server is using our ISP's DNS servers, which are setup in
/etc/resolv.conf. My thinking is that something is going on with our ISP's
DNS servers. What, I don't know, but it is consistent and happens every 3-4
weeks.

The only other thing that I can think of is that we have a private BIND
server that acts as a caching-nameserver for our clients as well as serving
up private web pages. But I don't see that being the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? It's not a big problem. It is more of a nuissance.

I appreciate.

Jason

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
</x-flowed>