Plenty of Unknown Users

Joe Smith joey at JOESMITH.NET
Wed Jul 28 14:01:23 IST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Mustafa N. Deeb wrote:

> my MailScanner is installed on a gateway, at the moment i'm being
> bombarded by spam email to users that don't exist on the domain,
>
> basically what happens is that the email bounces from my mail server ,
> get stuck on the mail gateway , filling up the queue, and since it is
> alot it is causing delays on delivery.
>
> what is the best Practice for handling such a situation?

If you are using Sendmail as the MTA, look into the /etc/mail/access file
setup for setting up known users.  Be sure to put the forwarded domain
names into the relay-domains file.  This can cut down your load
significantly as t he MTA will reject all those unknown addresses before
they even get into the system.

Sample:

/etc/mail/access