Plz Help : buildaddr: unknown mailer smptp

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sat Jul 24 08:48:20 IST 2004

Azher Amin wrote:

>Dear Team,
>
>I tried to install Mail Scanner, SpamAssassin, ClamAV and ClamAV PERL
>Module. I had some problem with LANG in my redhat 9 system, but I set the
>LANG=C then all seems to install.
>
>However when I try to send email from outside to this server it bounces the
>mail with the following error. Can you plz guess what can be the error.
>
>Regards
>Azher
>

>Message from  yahoo.com.
>Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).
>
><azher at niit.edu.pk>:
>202.83.166.172 does not like recipient.
>Remote host said: 554 5.3.5 buildaddr: unknown mailer smptp Giving up on
>202.83.166.172.

This is not a MS issue. Which MTA are you using? If it's sendmail then
you have a syntax error in your access (I think) table (Sorry I don't do
sendmail, Postfix, well that's different :-) ) Check the file that reads
some thing like <domain> RELAY smtp:nexthop

Sorry I can't be more accurate but hopefully that's enough of a clue!

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk