Released beta version 4.32.3

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Thu Jul 22 21:31:32 IST 2004

"Chris W. Parker" wrote:

> Julian Field <mailto:mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
>     on Thursday, July 22, 2004 12:08 PM said:
>
> >> Ah, I'm sure what he meant to say was that it's mid way up the west
> >> coast, give or take. <g>
> >
> > You mean there's a difference?
>
> assuming your question is not rhetorical...
>
> yes the midwest is sort of the middle northern part of the united
> states*. "mid way up the west coast" is oregon. none of the midwest
> states sit on either coast. if someone told you oregon is in the midwest
> they are mistaken. it is about as far west as you can get save hawaii
> and alaska.

It becomes more clear when you find out that the term "mid-west"
originated shortly after we stopped being colonies of the UK.  It is a
term that is relative to the 13 colonies.  (and, really, it's not truely
"middle of the continent", it's "near the great lakes", which is
slightly _east_ of the middle of the continent ... the mid region of the
continent is "central US", so "mid-west" is east of "central" ... and we
wonder why other countries think we're ignorant about geography)

It makes more sense, though, when you think about the "west" in
"mid-west" as meaning "just west of the original 13 colonies", where the
"far west" was everything past that (and the "near west" meant you were
still in the colonies).  (though, I think "near west" and "far west"
were just how it was explained to me, I don't know if they actually
existed as terms in that period of history)

It has nothing to do with "middle of the west coast".

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk