Integrating Safe Words

William Burns William.Burns at AEROFLEX.COM
Tue Jul 20 22:04:01 IST 2004

Personally, I think that schemes like this make a lot of sense as part
of an integrated defense against spam.
Even if these solutions are beyond MailScanner's (or Spam Assasin's)
scope it's worth discussing other approaches, and how they could work w/
MailScanner.

So... Anyone who wanted to write a "safe word", or a
"challenge-response" script, could configure sendmail (or whatever their
inbound MTA is) to deliver into an "mqueue-inbound". Then, have their
script pull mail from "mqueue-inbound" and drop it into "mqueue-in".

The control loop would look something like this:

> while true
> do
>
> find ${INBOUNDQUEUE} -type f -name "qf*" -print >${TMPFILE}.find
>
> cat ${TMPFILE}.find |\
> while read QF
> do
>
> IDENT=`echo $QF|sed "s,^${INBOUNDQUEUE}/qf,,"`
> if ! /bin/fuser $QF >/dev/null
> then
> # put your script here
> ./safeword-script $IDENT
> fi
>
> if [ -f ${INBOUNDQUEUE}/qf${IDENT} ]
> then
> mv ${INBOUNDQUEUE}/*${IDENT} ${MSINQUEUE}
> fi
>
> done # while read QF
>
> sleep 2
>
> done # while true

If you define INBOUNDQUEUE to be your MTAs inbound queue, MSINQUEUE to
be your MailScanner INQUEUE, and TMPFILE to be a safe filename in "/tmp"
somewhere, this wrapper will call your safeword-script for each piece of
mail.

Now a user w/ good scripting skills can write a "safeword-script" which
can maintain a different safeword for each user on the system. (or
implement quarrantine/challenge/response)

-Bill

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk