Whitelisted Sites Bypass Virus Checking

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Tue Jul 20 16:24:52 IST 2004

Brian M Hoy wrote:

> Whitelisted sites seem to bypass all virus checks on v4.31.6,
> including the "Allow Password-Protected Archives" option.

I just tested this with 4.31.6, and am not seeing this behavior:

spam.whitelist.rules:
From:      10.4.                   yes

Virus report:

    Sender: dustin.baer at ihs.com
IP Address: 10.4.60.10
 Recipient: dustin.baer at ihs.com
   Subject: test
 MessageID: i6KF9Cev006614
    Report: Sophos: >>> Virus 'W32/Dumaru-A' found in file ./i6KF9Cev006614/dumaru-a
            MailScanner: No programs allowed (dumaru-a)

> Is this the intended behaviour???

No.

>  I thought that whitelisting only applied to the spam checks, not the
> virus checks.

Correct.

> Is there some way that we can check all messages for viruses, but
> bypass the spam checks for whitelisted sites only?

All messages are checked for viruses, unless they are determined to be
spam, and you don't forward spam onto /dev/null.

Dustin

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk