Bayes score not exceding 5.4

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Fri Jul 16 14:56:10 IST 2004

Darrin wrote:
>         Is there a setting for bayes maximum score? I have noticed that I
> cannot teach bayes to score over 5.4. Required spam score is 6, and I am
> barely missing so much spam :). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't teach it to score higher, you teach it to score with a higher
accuracy. Look in this file (path might be different on your system):

/usr/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf

At the end you have this:

score BAYES_00 0 0 -4.901 -4.900
score BAYES_01 0 0 -0.600 -1.524
score BAYES_10 0 0 -0.734 -0.908
score BAYES_20 0 0 -0.127 -1.428
score BAYES_30 0 0 -0.349 -0.904
score BAYES_40 0 0 -0.001 -0.001
score BAYES_44 0 0 -0.001 -0.001
score BAYES_50 0 0 0.001 0.001
score BAYES_56 0 0 0.001 0.001
score BAYES_60 0 0 1.789 1.592
score BAYES_70 0 0 2.142 2.255
score BAYES_80 0 0 2.442 1.657
score BAYES_90 0 0 2.454 2.101
score BAYES_99 0 0 5.400 5.400

It means that if Bayes is 99% sure, it scores 5.4, but you can change
those values of course. But be warned, there's a lot of thought behind
those scores from the SA guys. I raised the BAYES_00 score to -2 so
Bayes poisoning wouldn't affect total score too much. If you don't use
lists like BigEvil and AntiDrug I would recommend you to use those
before you change the Bayes scores.

Another thing, don't change any score in the above file, since it will
be overwritten at the next SA upgrade. Add a line in
spam.assassin.prefs.conf instead.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.31.6,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.50, ClamAV 0.73 + GMP 4.1.2, Vispan 1.4

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk