Several messages in the incoming queue are not being sent

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Fri Jul 16 07:44:24 IST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:24:57 +0100, you wrote:

>Diego M. López wrote:
>> I give up. I have searched the faq, this list, and google to find an
>> answer to this:
>>
>> I have a high load server (100,000 msgs per day) and at peak hours a
>> big
>> amount of messages arrive to the incoming queue and simply stay there
>> forever. Other messages are transferred succesfully.
>
>Do they stay in the Q permanently or do you mean that they are delayed for a
>very very long time?

I have had some files stay there for months.

When I did mailq -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in they all appeared
locked (* after the QueueID). And also a number of incomplete pairs. The
locked pairs seemed to come from crashed sendmail processes.

What I did to solve this was to kill the incoming sendmail (sendmail:
accepting connections) wait for MS to process everything he could. Then
you watch the mail log like this:
tail -f /var/log/mail | grep -i waiting
You will see the number going down but not to 0. The last number is
about the same as the mailq command shows and it is the total number of
locked pairs.

At that moment you know there are no more "real" messages in the
incoming queue and you can remove all files from /var/spool/mqueue.in.
After that just restart MS.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk