Several messages in the incoming queue are not being sent

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Thu Jul 15 21:31:48 IST 2004

Diego M. López wrote:

> Many thanks for the advice,
>
> Does this solve the problem?

Diego,

It depends on the exact problem.  If you have a lot of df (body) files
with no corresponding qf (header) file, then they will never get
delivered anyway.

What do the following commands commands give:

    ksh print "qf - \c" && ls -l /var/spool/mqueue.in/qf* | wc -l
    ksh print "df - \c" && ls -l /var/spool/mqueue.in/qf* | wc -l
    ksh print "other files:" && ls -l /var/spool/mqueue.in/ | grep -v ^[qd]f

> I mean, what about the messages that stay in the queue and never are sent?

You should first determine if it is truly a full message that is stuck
in mqueue.in

> I have tested this and I can see that several messages enter the queue
> but never are  transferred to the users' email server.

Okay, so you are sending test messages that get into
/var/spool/mqueue.in and never leave?  If you grep for the the Sendmail
id in your email logs, what is the result?

Dustin

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk