MS+SA+CLAMAV on FreeBSD

Matthew K Bowman mkbowman at NEO.RR.COM
Wed Jul 14 13:43:55 IST 2004

Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Matt
>
> maybe - did you stop the existing sendmail first??????
>
> the rc.MailScanner should start two sendmail's, one for both queues and
> MS itself.
>  in the rc.conf you'll need a sendmail="no" line to stop FreeBSD
> starting it on boot.
>
> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>

> Matthew K Bowman wrote:
>

>> Arg!!! I wonder if this is my problem:
>>
>> # MailScanner starts here
>> mta_start_script="/opt/MailScanner/bin/rc.MailScanner"
>> MailScanner_incoming_queue="/var/spool/mqueue.in"
>> MailScanner_queue_time="15m"
>> MailScanner_check="/opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner"
>> MailScanner_pidfile="/opt/MailScanner/var/MailScanner.pid"
>> # MailScanner ends here
>>
>> Ok i've modified the start_script to have start.
>>
>> When i run rc.MailScanner normally its actually starting sendmail first
>> then mailscanner -- is that the problem?
>>
>> Jul 14 08:21:02 udcommx4 sm-mta[25063]: starting daemon (8.12.10): SMTP
>> Jul 14 08:21:02 udcommx4 sendmail[25065]: starting daemon (8.12.10):
>> queueing at 00
>> :15:00
>> Jul 14 08:21:05 udcommx4 MailScanner[25085]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus
>> Scanner ve
>> rsion 4.31.6 starting...
>> Jul 14 08:21:05 udcommx4 sm-msp-queue[25087]: starting daemon (8.12.10):
>> queuein
>> g at 00:30:00
>>
>> Matthew
>>
>> -------------------------- MailScanner list ----------------------
>> To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
>> Before posting, please see the Most Asked Questions at
>> http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives at
>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html

> the system manager.
>
> This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept
> for the presence of computer viruses and is believed to be clean.

Yep, sendmail is disabled in rc.conf

sendmail_enable="NO"

I just did a rc.MailScanner stop and it stopped sendmail only it left
_all_ MailScanner processes running.

On start i get
sendmail incoming outgoing MailScanner Starting MailScanner...
sendmail-clientmqueue
On stop i get
sendmail MailScanner sendmail-clientmqueue

The file system is setup as /opt/MailScanner/

/etc/Mailscanner is symlinked to /opt/MailScanner

Matthew

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk