MS+SA+CLAMAV on FreeBSD

Matthew K Bowman mkbowman at NEO.RR.COM
Wed Jul 14 13:23:25 IST 2004

Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Matt
>
> argh need more coffee...
>
> ok I meant
>

> looks like you've NOT created the two sendmail queues and instances.
>
> MS sits in the middle of the two queues, scans email in the 'incoming'
> queue, processes it and if it passes the rules places the possibly
> header modified email in the processed sendmail queue.
>
> the second sendmail instance then spots the email in the processed queue
> and delivers it as per normal.
>

> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>

> Martin Hepworth wrote:
>
>> Matt
>>
>> looks like you've created the two instances of sendmail queue for
>> MailScanner to look at ....
>>
>> are you sure you've followed the instructions??
>>

>> --
>> Martin Hepworth
>> Snr Systems Administrator
>> Solid State Logic
>> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>>

>> Matthew K Bowman wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm currently using 4 Redhat Boxes for MS, SA and F-prot. However we
>>> have found RH9 to be an unreliable OS, as a result we are looking at
>>> FreeBSD as an alternative OS.  I downloaded the source for  MS, Clamav
>>> and SA onto the FreeBSD and followed the instructions.
>>>
>>> FreeBSD 5.2.1
>>> MS installed fine with --ignore-perl (4.31-6)
>>> ClamAv installed fine  (0.74)
>>> SA installed fine (2.63)
>>>
>>> When MS starts up, it doesn't report its found messages in the
>>> queue, it
>>> appears that MS just hangs and sendmails just carries on and passes the
>>> mail through. It doesn't seem MS is actually do either spam or virus
>>> checks (maillog does not indicate so)
>>>
>>> Output of spamassassin -D --lint
>>>
>>> debug: Score set 0 chosen.
>>> debug: running in taint mode? yes
>>> debug: Running in taint mode, removing unsafe env vars, and resetting
>>> PATH
>>> debug: PATH included '/sbin', keeping.
>>> debug: PATH included '/bin', keeping.
>>> debug: PATH included '/usr/sbin', keeping.
>>> debug: PATH included '/usr/bin', keeping.
>>> debug: PATH included '/usr/games', keeping.
>>> debug: PATH included '/usr/local/sbin', keeping.
>>> debug: PATH included '/usr/local/bin', keeping.
>>> debug: PATH included '/usr/X11R6/bin', keeping.
>>> debug: PATH included '/root/bin', which doesn't exist, dropping.
>>> debug: Final PATH set to:
>>> /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sb
>>> in:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>>> debug: ignore: using a test message to lint rules
>>> debug: using "/usr/local/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
>>> debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
>>> debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
>>> debug: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
> [...]
Arg!!! I wonder if this is my problem:

# MailScanner starts here
mta_start_script="/opt/MailScanner/bin/rc.MailScanner"
MailScanner_incoming_queue="/var/spool/mqueue.in"
MailScanner_queue_time="15m"
MailScanner_check="/opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner"
MailScanner_pidfile="/opt/MailScanner/var/MailScanner.pid"
# MailScanner ends here

Ok i've modified the start_script to have start.

When i run rc.MailScanner normally its actually starting sendmail first
then mailscanner -- is that the problem?

Jul 14 08:21:02 udcommx4 sm-mta[25063]: starting daemon (8.12.10): SMTP
Jul 14 08:21:02 udcommx4 sendmail[25065]: starting daemon (8.12.10):
queueing at 00
:15:00
Jul 14 08:21:05 udcommx4 MailScanner[25085]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus
Scanner ve
rsion 4.31.6 starting...
Jul 14 08:21:05 udcommx4 sm-msp-queue[25087]: starting daemon (8.12.10):
queuein
g at 00:30:00

Matthew

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk