Spam over the max allowed score still slips through!!! {Scanned}

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Tue Jul 13 16:43:32 IST 2004

| An old topic but still very much alive. Guess this bug is still standing
| and not found?
|
| Mails well over the set limits still get delivered. It's even more
| annoying because you know that these buggers should have been filtered
| out. I still have the df/qf pair of that mail if anyone wants to test.
| Unfortunately I'm not much use as a programmer but willing to test :)
|
| Thanks!
|
| Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
| To: xxx at xxx.com
| Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:15:34 -0500
| From: update at cybersmartinvesting.com
| Subject: {Spam?} your weekly update

This looks like it was caught! (marked spam)
Check your rules on "what to do with spam".
A "forward" rule does not stop delivery to the original recipient.
It is more like a "forward copy to" action.

| On Mon, 17 May 2004, Remco Barendse wrote:
|
| > This is in my MailScanner.conf
| >
| > High SpamAssassin Score = 8
| > Spam Actions = striphtml deliver
| > High Scoring Spam Actions =  striphtml forward root at mydomain.com

Will still get through, but will have html munged so it opens as text .

| > Non Spam Actions = deliver
| >
| > This is my MCP config:
| > MCP Checks = yes
| >
| > MCP Required SpamAssassin Score = 1
| > MCP High SpamAssassin Score = 10
| > MCP Error Score = 1
| >
| > MCP Header = X-MailScanner-MCPCheck:
| > Non MCP Actions = deliver
| > MCP Actions = delete
| > High Scoring MCP Actions = delete
| >
| > Is Definitely MCP = no
| > Is Definitely Not MCP = %rules-dir%/mcp.check.rules
| > Definite MCP Is High Scoring = no
| > Always Include MCP Report = yes
| > Detailed MCP Report = yes
| > Include Scores In MCP Report = yes
| > Log MCP = yes
| >
| > MCP Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 20
| > MCP Max SpamAssassin Size = 100000
| > MCP SpamAssassin Timeout = 10
| >
| > MCP SpamAssassin Prefs File = %mcp-dir%/mcp.spam.assassin.prefs.conf
| > MCP SpamAssassin User State Dir =
| > MCP SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir = %mcp-dir%
| > MCP SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir = %mcp-dir%
| > MCP SpamAssassin Install Prefix = %mcp-dir%
| > Recipient MCP Report = %report-dir%/en/recipient.mcp.report.txt
| > Sender MCP Report = %report-dir%/en/sender.mcp.report.txt
| >

| > I assumed that spam scanning and mcp scanning are completely different,
| > separated issues and that the mail would first be checked for MCP and
| > after that a spam check is done whereby either of the 2 scans can remove
| > the mail from the queue to be delivered. Judging by your e-mail my
| > assumption is wrong?

| > > MailScanner doesn't use anything in the headers to determine what it
should do.

| > > MCP saying it should deliver the message? What are all your spam
actions
| > > and mcp actions settings?
| > > It's not trivial to work out what you actually want to do with the
message
| > > when the spam actions and mcp actions conflict.

mail to the

list ----------------------
jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk

list ----------------------

| > > --
| > > Julian Field
| > > www.MailScanner.info
| > > MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support
| > >
| > > PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654
| > >
| > > -------------------------- MailScanner list ----------------------
| > > To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
| > > Before posting, please see the Most Asked Questions at
| > > http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives at
| > > http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html
| > >

| -------------------------- MailScanner list ----------------------
| To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
| Before posting, please see the Most Asked Questions at
| http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives at
| http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html
|
| --
| This message has been scanned for viruses and
| dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
| believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk