Question on outbound port 113

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Fri Jul 9 01:42:23 IST 2004

Hello everyone.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I figured since I am
running MailScanner on this particular box, I thought I would ask.

I noticed today that I have seen some outbound connections from my
mailscanner box on our DMZ, going out through port 113. I know that port
113 is the auth or ident port, but I am trying to figure out why I am
seeing these connections going outbound.

I am a little bit nervous because I have been away for the past week and I
hope this is nothing to be concerned about.

My setup:

MailScanner 4.29-7
Sendmail 8.12.11
ClamAV
SpamAsasssin 2.63

I am also subscribing to a few RBL's as well.

I have been over and over my server and really can't see anything that is
jumping out at me as a problem. I only have ports open that need to be open;

-25
-587
-514
-22

I also configured my firewall to only allow port 25 traffic to his mail
server as well.

I apologize that this is off-topic, but I thought it could be something
that was a part of MS or the MTA.

I appreciate the help.

Jason

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk