Anyone running big SPARC boxes?

William Burns William.Burns at AEROFLEX.COM
Thu Jul 8 21:52:00 IST 2004

Peter:

Peter Bonivart wrote:

> John Rudd wrote:
>
>> Sounds very nice.  Have any idea about who we'd talk to about getting
>> FreeBSD certified for it (though, we might just go with Solaris if we
>> were to get some of them)?  How has its performance been?
>

> I know very little about FreeBSD but do they keep an official HCL? The
> certification regarding Suse and Red Hat comes from those two companies.
> What would the equivalent be in the FreeBSD world?

The V20z is still a very new machine.
I don't know anyone who's running it yet.
(and please tell me about the LOM if you are!)

If someone wants to lobby SUN to provide FreeBSD as an option, I'm sure
they'd have to come up w/ a way for SUN to outsource all the support
issues like they do w/ RedHat and SuSe.

> Here's a link to some benchmarks:
>
> http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/benchmarks.html
>
> As I understand it, the Opteron is faster than anything Intel produces.

That might be.
The Opteron is the first processor to have 64-bit extentions on an
otherwise standard Pentium instruction set. This is forcing Intel to
follow suit, and break from its Itanium-only 64-bit strategy.

-Bill

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk