New user trying to understand mailscanner capab ilities to des ign solution

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Tue Jul 6 17:13:21 IST 2004

Smart,Dan wrote:
> It is a pure relay delivery server to internal Exchange mail.
>
> What I'm looking for is a list of the exploits that MailScanner handles to
> make sure I'm not moving to a less secure feature set.  Is there such as
> list, or could a developer look at my list and give me a yes, no.  I was
> hoping to NOT have to spend an evening picking through code to do this
> myself.

Looking briefly through your list of current functionality I don't see
anything I miss myself. Have you tried www.testvirus.org? A well set up
MailScanner system passes all those tests if that's any help, they test
quite some filename/mime/outlook weaknesses. I don't think there's a
complete list similar to the one you listed but maybe you should
download MailScanner, unpack it (you don't have to install it, you can
look at the files from your PC with WinZip) and look at
MailScanner.conf. That's the main configuration file, it will take you
10-15 minutes to browse it through, that will give you a good view of
what MailScanner can do. Note that almost everything is possible to run
through rulesets which makes it extremely flexible to every need still
much easier and integrated than what you seem to run now.

Regarding spam you can of course run SA with DCC and any extra rules you
like. That's what I do. Again, rulesets in MS can handle the SA results
differently when it comes to scoring, delivery and you name it.

Hope this helps a little.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.31.6,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.50, ClamAV 0.73 + GMP 4.1.2, Vispan 1.4

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk