Bug: install.sh for Solaris

Linda Pelleu Antil linda.antil at NIST.GOV
Thu Jul 1 14:38:20 IST 2004

At 10:42 PM 6/30/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 22:10, John Rudd wrote:
> > > Rather it should probably allow
> > > arguments to the effect of "./install.sh --perlpath=/foo/bar".
> >
> > I like that idea.  A lot.  Errors could end with "See ./install.sh
> > --help" so they could see their options, and then they could assert
> > settings instead of just turning some tests off.  I like that idea a
> > lot.
>
>When I wrote the non-rpm install script for MailScanner-MRTG I did it
>that way  (--help and all) you'd be amazed by...
>
>1) How many options even a simple program can have
>2) How long the script ends up
>3) How many people either
>   3a) don't read the install docs, install with all the default settings
>and then complain about it putting things in the wrong place
>   3b) do read the install docs, customise everything in sight, complain
>because it doesn't work
>   3c) Don't even notice the install script, install it the way they
>always did, complain because you've added some critical file and not
>told them where to copy it to.
<snip>

As someone who is about to do a non-standard install I thought I'd
better check on this.  We want to install MailScanner in a non-standard
location
(no big deal) and use a version of perl also located in a non-standard
location.
I did not want to do a lot of customizing of the install script and
possibly miss
something, so my plan was just to install the old way (using the
MailScanner-4.31.6-1.tar.gz
in the perl-tar directory).  If I do that, will I run into problems?  Any
suggestions on
a preferred approach.

Thanks-
Linda