Bug: install.sh for Solaris

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Thu Jul 1 12:08:20 IST 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, John Rudd wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2004, at 9:17 AM, David Lee wrote:
> [...]
> > Rather it should probably allow
> > arguments to the effect of "./install.sh --perlpath=/foo/bar".
>
> I like that idea.  A lot.  Errors could end with "See ./install.sh
> --help" so they could see their options, and then they could assert
> settings instead of just turning some tests off.  I like that idea a
> lot.

I'm in the process of sketching this idea as a patch for 4.31.6 .  While
Julian is not yet wishing to go the full-blown "autoconf" route, I'm
basing my sketch on a typical autoconf "configure" script, so that the
autoconf route is open for the future of MailScanner.

> As for Solaris pkgs, I think that would be something entirely parallel.
>   A pkg can already internally do tons of things (like what install.sh
> is trying to do), so a good pkg would almost be considered a third
> distribution type (PRM, TAR, PKG), with the pkg installation script
> being a cousin to install.sh.

There are two overlapping issues here: distribution type and installation
type.  My personal opinion is that we should head towards a single
distribution type (as most GNU/OpenSource-like software).  Then the
options of RPM/PKG/deb would be concerned solely with local installation.

> Though, I do think it's a good idea.  Just saying it should be more
> parallel to the install.sh concept than a child of it.

Again, this is where something like "configure && make" (as distinct from
"install.sh") could come into play.  It would allow (OS permitting)
local flexibility like "make install", "make rpm", "make pkg".

I'm not wanting to push Julian too hard on "configure".  But I'm aiming to
let my work in this area at least be compatible with any such future moves
and flexibility in case we can, over time, persuade him!

Does that sound about right?

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk