Performance problems...

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Jan 30 22:00:22 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 21:43, Eric J Merkel wrote:

> > > Sendmail collecting input from & to some SMTP servers....

If you have a lot of messages in your outgoing queue then its possible
that your sendmail queue running is eating up too many resources.  In
this case it may be helpful to change the queue running interval to a
higher number (by default this is 15 minutes and is set by changing
QUEUETIME in /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner).  So long as you have left
Delivery Method = Batch in MailScanner.conf MailScanner will still
attempt to send every message once before queuing it, so this shouldn't
have a negative effect on most mail.

If you look into the sendmail queue timeouts etc. I think (vague memory)
there are all sorts of clever things you can do (like send failed mail
to a seperate box for further attempts).  I think it may even be
possible to have several queues (with queue runners with different
intervals set) for different failure reasons.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.