Performance problems...

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Jan 30 21:34:56 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 21:10, Eric J Merkel wrote:

> No we are not using SA. I will look into mounting the MS incoming directory
> on a tempfs. Do you have any recommendation on how much RAM I should set
> aside for the tmpfs?

You don't need to worry about that, tmpfs looks after itself in that
regard (unlike using a ramdisk).  Just add this to /etc/fstab

none /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming tmpfs defaults 0 0

Then do
service MailScanner stop
mount /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
service MailScanner start

> I do not have it set to deliver cleaned/disinfected messages. I do have a
> fair number of bounced spam messages from unknown user accounts on our
> system. Right now I have a script clean out the mqueue every 10 minutes of
> all invalid bounce messages.

Might be worth grabbing the addresses of the invalid recipients and
adding them to your access database

To: user at domain.com             REJECT

Doing this really reduced the load on my system.

> > There were some useful sendmail rules (both subject and recipient)
> > posted to the list which can help to block MyDoom.
> >

> I just joined the list today so I didn't get a chance to see those filters.
> Do you have the subject of those messages so I can look them up in the
> archive?

I just realised I posted the subject rules that I used for Sobig, so I
should probably post updated ones for MyDoom.  Here they are

LOCAL_RULESETS
## Common Virus Subjects
##
HSubject:               $>Check_Subject
D{VMsg}" - This message may contain a virus - This subject is associated
with a known virus, for genuine mail please resend with different
subject text."
SCheck_SubjectRerror                  $#error $: 550 5.7.0 ${VMsg}
Rhello                  $#error $: 550 5.7.0 ${VMsg}
Rhi                     $#error $: 550 5.7.0 ${VMsg}
Rmail delivery system   $#error $: 550 5.7.0 ${VMsg}
Rmail transaction failed        $#error $: 550 5.7.0 ${VMsg}
Rserver report          $#error $: 550 5.7.0 ${VMsg}
Rstatus         $#error $: 550 5.7.0 ${VMsg}
Rtest           $#error $: 550 5.7.0 ${VMsg}

These should be added to the end of your sendmail.mc and the sendmail.cf
rebuilt.

The list of users is in a post entitled 'MyDoom Countermeasures' posted
to the list on Jan28 by Jeff Falgout.  I added these to my system,
adding my domains after the @.  Whether these are of use to you rather
depends on your username naming policy.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk