Skip scan for viruses

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Fri Jan 30 18:19:30 GMT 2004

"Randal, Phil" wrote:

> No, spam can't directly compromise your PC, viruses can.
>
> As it stands it is a gaping security hole in MailScanner.

That is a ridiculous statement.

> Hypothethical example:  User phones, and says "your flipping anti-spam gizmo
> has blocked an email which isn't spam, can you release it?".  You look at
> the logs, see that Mailscanner doesn't think it's a virus and release it
> from quarantine.  BOOM!
>
> Phil

Then the admin who released it is at fault.  I release spam everyday,
but put it back through MailScanner, AFTER adding a specific header
(X-SpamRequested-Email) that will subract 100 points from SpamAssassin.
The -100 score was added 1.5 years ago, when I did release infected
message into mqueue.  I sure as hell didn't blame MailScanner, or Julian
for my stupidity.  Luckily, Norton caught it on our Lotus Notes server,
before any problems were caused.

It is not a gaping security hole in MailScanner, but it is a gaping
security hole for an admin to send an email on without scanning it for
viruses.

It really doesn't matter if a file is stopped because of spam first, as
long as you are smart enough to know to check it for viruses, before
giving it to an end user.

Dustin
--
Dustin Baer