Skip scan for viruses

David Hooton david at PLATFORMHOSTING.COM
Fri Jan 30 11:04:56 GMT 2004

> So it seems to me that SpamAssassin and its spam checks is more of a CPU
> hog than the whole virus scanning process.

Depending on your configuration, but here it is...

> My thought would be
>
> if a Virus is dropped before the Spam Scanning can even pick it up, that
> would mean less work to the CPU, thus less ressources are consumed or am
> I making a mistake?

This is a very dynamic situation, a little while ago it was suggested that
the order be configurable.  I forget where that thread ended, but in
situations like we've had this week it certainly would be nice to be able to
reverse the process to virus scan first.  _however_ we also have weeks when
spam traffic is very significantly higher than virus traffic in which case
obviously it would be good to have the other way around.

I would really love to see an option for this, it's been asked for before,
unless there is a serious security implication or it already exists!

Regards,

David Hooton

 Pain free spam & virus protection by:          www.mailsecurity.net.au
 Forward undetected SPAM to:                   spam at mailsecurity.net.au