Filter filetype not working

Ed Corrado ecorrado at ATHENA.RIDER.EDU
Wed Jan 28 03:49:43 GMT 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:37:16 +0000, Julian Field
<mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

>The filetype checking is disabled by default. Look for the line that
>defines the File command and you will probably find a "#" in it starting a
>comment.

Thank you for the suggestion, I did find a "#" in the "File Command" line
(it read File Command= #/usr/bin/file) and I took it out. However, after
restarting MailScanner it still did not do anything about the executable
attachment so I must have a different issue.

>Also, check that when you locally send these test messages you are actually
>sending them through MailScanner.

I sent the messages from another machine on a different network.

>And don't forget that just calling a file
>foobar.exe doesn't make it an executable as far as the filetype checking is
>concerned. It needs to contain executable code :-)

That is good to know, but the file I sent was a real execuable so that
doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thank you again for the suggestions,

Edward