is spam

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Tue Jan 27 21:18:52 GMT 2004

Regretfully... it depends on how your mail server identifies messages...
ZMailer does so based on the inode number which is frequently reused (at
least, in linux, it can be a matter of several reuses within a couple of
seconds in a somehow loaded server).

I did write a patch which gives really unique id's to every message (see
the thread
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0309&L=mailscanner&P=R106594
in the mailing list.

I use this to generate an alternate log (in CustomConfig.pm) which gives
me:
1 line for every message with the Id, timestamp, the origin info (IP & mail
from), subject, spam status, spamassassin info, etc.
1 line for every recipient telling me the recipient address
1 line for every virus or other problem report

These lines are all written in a bunch so they don't intermix.

All these is based on the SQLLogging function.

Regretfully, Julian never added the Id to the distribution (maybe it is a
little cpu intensive, but I didn't notice any drawbacks using medium-sized
hardware), so I have to keep patching it... whenever I have time, I publish
the patches and say it so in the mailing list.

Regards.

--
Mariano Absatz
El Baby