Bayesian shenanigans (i.e. problems)

Thu Jan 22 10:06:41 GMT 2004

David Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Martin Hepworth wrote:
>

>>David Lee wrote:
>>
>>>[...]
>>>At 2.62, the SA folk seem to have recognised the 2.61 "bayes_toks"
>>>problem, and instead of "bayes_toks.new" are now using filename patterns
>>>"bayes_toks.expire$$" (where $$ is the process id).  (Do a diff of the
>>>2.61 and 2.62 versions of "lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/BayesStore.pm".)
>>>
>>>BUT... the result is that instead of one huge "bayes_toks.new" file, there
>>>now seem to be an increasing number of orphaned "bayes_toks.expire$$"
>>>files.  (Given that $$ could typically span all integers up to 30,000, the
>>>accumulating disk usage results could become 'interesting'...)
>>>
>>>I realise such SA details take us somewhat off-topic from strict
>>>MailScanner.  But has anyone here got any experience of this with SA 2.62,
>>>or monitoring it on SA lists?  (Perhaps I need to rejoing an SA list or at
>>>least ferret through their recent archives...)
>>>

>>Can't say that (1) I've seen this on my server or (2) on the sa-talk list.
>>
>>Perhaps you need to get back on the sa-talk list and ask them??
>

> Thanks, Martin.  I posted a note on sa-talk a couple of days ago, but had
> not one reply.
>
> But I think we need to come back to MS despite my earlier thought that
> this SA/bayes thing might be taking us somewhat off-topic.
>
> Meanwhile, looking deeper locally, I had seen some things which suggest
> that the problem may actually be MS's, or at least its use of SA.  We
> (durham.ac.uk) have 3 MX records: two of equal low-value (preferred), and
> one of higher value (i.e. quasi-backup, our production-test).  As far as
> we know, all are identically configured.
>
> But we only see the problem on the two main, busy servers, not on the
> lightly-loaded background one.  In addition (and here's the clincher which
> pulls us back to MS, or at least MS-triggering):
>
> 1. The busy servers, which suffer from this problem, have many "maillog"
>    entries of the form "MailScanner[...]: Delete bayes lockfile for $$"
>    (where "$$" looks like a process number), and have these orphaned files
>    called "bayes_toks.expire$$" (same value "$$").
>
> 2. The backup, quiet server has no such maillog messages, and no such
>    orphaned files.
>
> So there is clearly something in MS's use of SA on busy machines (in a
> timeout/locking-like area) that is causing these orphaned files (SA2.62)
> and presumably the equivalent huge "bayes_toks.new" (SA 2.61)).
>
> Thoughts, anyone?  How to begin to try to trace this??

David
in the MailScanner.conf set the Debug flags for SA and MS (they are
within a couple of lines together), and see what you get.

Also make sure you've got the DB_FILE perl module installed and also the
persmissions on the directory holding the bayes DB is fine.

what versions of perl are you running and what MTA?

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.