MailScanner with qmail support - OpenProtect

opencomputing opencomputing at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 21 13:11:31 GMT 2004

Dear Julian,

--- Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
> Please could we get your qmail support integrated
> into the main codebase,
> so there are no "forks" in the development tree.
>
> If you can send me the source and the installation
> docs, I should be able
> to do the rest for you.

      We'll be glad to get that module into the main
code base.  You can get the complete code from
http://opencomputing.sf.net.

We have added Qmail.pm, QMDiskStore.pm to the existing
files in the /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner
directory. Also, we have added
Qmail Hash Directory Number = 23
in MailScanner.conf. Also, we have included our
modified qmail-queue.c file and the modified qmail
directory as op-qmail-1.03 inside the tar.gz file.
The Makefile is also changed so that a "make
openprotect" will make the qmail-queue binary inside
the op-qmail-1.03 directory. If the user has installed
qmail in a different location than /var/qmail, the
string has to be changed in the conf-qmail file under
op-qmail-1.03 directory. so, setting the following
values in MailScanner.conf will get qmail working:

Run As User = qmailq
Run As Group = qmail
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/qmail/queue.in/mess #(create
this directory or copy queue to queue.in)
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/qmail/queue/mess
Qmail Hash Directory Number = 23 #(or whatever no.of
dirs used)
MTA = qmail

Of course, our installer does all these by itself. So,
reading the installer code can also reveal what'd done
to make qmail support work.

Also, openprotect was not started to fork MailScanner,
but to give a complete security package which is open
source and also easy to install. Only an install
script(openprotect-install) to run. Infact, an average
computer will not take more than 5 minutes to get
openprotect up and running, regardless of the distro.

cheers,
Opencomputing Team.