4.26- beta upgrade (was RE: Another MailScanner User!)

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Tue Jan 20 11:51:44 GMT 2004

As I understand Postfix doesn't use much in the way of file locking. It
doesn't need to. In standard form a message is dropped into the onward
directory and the next process is called using a 1b message and so mail
makes it's way through the MTA. MailScanner upsets it by trying to grab
the file from the deferred directory for processing. Now the deferred
directory is used by Postfix as the place where mail is put when delivery
fails, pending re-try (Keeps the active queues down) and every so often
(As set in master.cf) the queue runner process goes to the deffered queue
and inspects the messages for any that are due for retry. If the time
stamp has expired it picks up the message and trys to deliver it. Through
all of this there is not a need for much in the way of locking as what is
going to touch that file? Postfix (As far as Postfix is concerned!) and
Postfix knows what it's doing (We hope :-) ) If MailScanner and Postfix
queue runner should happen to try to take the same message, you get the
'still being delivered' message in the logs and up pops a duplicated mail!

Easy way round it, use the hold queue. This is designed to only have
messages dropped in it for leter inspection by the postmaster and so the
queue runner doesn't ever re-inspect this directory. Ideal for
MailScanner, message gets dropped (MS knows how to tell when it's
complete), picks up the new message, does it's bit and puts it back in the
incoming queue for Postfix to deal with in it's usual efficient manner.

I haven't had a single duplicate since putting this in place.

Drew