blocking %00 / %01 exploits with mailscanner?

Dan Hollis spamtrap71892316634 at ANIME.NET
Mon Jan 19 23:44:25 GMT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Jan-Peter Koopmann wrote:
> >From my point of view: You are. MCP is using the SpamAssassin engine. It
> is not using the SpamAssassin rules and ist purpose is not to block spam
> but to filter mails due to their content. It is using only the rules you
> supply and nothing more.

According to the mcp documentation
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/mcp/

It implies mcp is only applied to outbound email, not incoming.

"The point of Message Content Protection (MCP) is to allow you to write
rules for scanning the text content of email messages so you can trap
messages that contain certain numbers of keywords and/or phrases that you
don't want leaving your company."

If this is not the case, then the documentation for MCP is worded badly
:-/

-Dan