Automatic download of extra SA rule sets

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Mon Jan 19 15:39:08 GMT 2004

This bounced back from the list as a duplicate post. I did not receive it
and don't think I posted it twice so I'm posting again. Sorry if it's really
a duplicate.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Swaney [mailto:steve.swaney at fsl.com]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 10:25 AM
To: 'MailScanner mailing list'
Subject: Automatic download of extra SA rule sets

Chris Thielen has written a VERY complete and well thought out script to
download the most commonly used SA rules files and posted a link to his
script on the SA mail list:

        http://sandgnat.com/cmos/rules_du_jour

I have tested this script and it required only minor configuration changes
to work with MailScanner. It would also be very easy to extend the script
to get additional Rule Sets.

A couple of caveats:

1. Test first with the Debug flag set.
2. my /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf was very old (and not needed). This
kept spamassassin --lint from running with out errors. I removed the file
and all was well.

3. Saving the file from a web browser created some problems, run:

        wget    http://sandgnat.com/cmos/rules_du_jour

to get the file.

Steve
Stephen Swaney