Quarantine loses mail

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at WHIDBEY.COM
Fri Jan 16 07:06:39 GMT 2004

Greetings, all,

I got a message from a client, quoting a cleaned message message:

> This is a message from the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection Service
> The original e-mail message contained potentially dangerous content,
> which has been removed for your safety.
>
> The content is dangerous as it is often used to spread viruses or to gain
> personal or confidential information from you, such as passwords or credit
> card numbers.
>
> If you wish to receive a copy of the original email, please
> e-mail admin at bogachiel.net and include the whole of this message
> in your request.
>
> At Mon Jan 12 19:32:54 2004 the content filters said:
>    MailScanner: Found a form in HTML message
>
> Note to Help Desk: Look on Bogachiel Guard Station in

> /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20040112 (message i0D3WeWx002953).

I went to the suggested folder and looked at the message, to check if it was valid content that I should forward to them. To my surprise, it was the warning message quoted above, *not* the original message. I believe I've seen this before a couple of times.

Is there a bug? Or did I screw something up?

This was under 4.24-5, which I've been running up until about an hour ago when I reved to SA 2.61 and MS 4.25-14.

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,