Bouncing Spam

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Fri Jan 9 12:59:02 GMT 2004

[snip]

Julian

I sympathise with your problems. However I am equally at risk from
sanctions or abuse from people who think that I am deliberately ignoring
their mail when in fact it was (a false positive) deleted automatically
as probable spam.

For this reason I have chosen to use the MailScanner option to send an
explanatory message when spam to me is deleted. In truth I am more
concerned about the people who _need_ to know what has happended to
their message to me than I am about the consequences of collateral spam
that results.

One reason I have moved to using MailScanner to delete probable spam is
that we have many mailboxes on Outlook/Exchange. That system cannot
permanently delete tagged messages through the Rules Wizard when Outlook
is switched off. This can be a serious problem and results in mail being
lost if quotas are exceeded (over vacations for example).

I receive so much spam each day that it is not practical to have tagged
messages delivered then moved to a "spam" folder (by a personal mail
filter) where I am supposed to inspect them for possible false
positives.

I would be interested to hear what alternative strategies have been
adopted by people in my position.

Quentin