spamassassin timeout

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Jan 7 05:12:52 GMT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 02:55 pm, kfliong wrote:
> i am sorry if i am posting this question for the second time as I have
> not found any answer yet. So...here goes.
>
> I am getting this error :
>
> Jan  7 11:45:07 ensim MailScanner[19608]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
> killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
>

> I have set the timeout of spamassassin to 60 and i am still getting this
> failure. Changing to 90 would only make the time out error come out less
> often but that would only make my queues grow bigger. So, anyone have
> anyway of solving this besides making the timeout higher?
>
> Thanks in advance.

This is usually the result of 2 things:
1. Insuffient CPU power (or your box is too busy with other "stuff")
2. The network tests are taking too long (DNS blacklists etc).

It could be either or both.  You determine which one it is by simply turning
off all the network tests and seeing if the error goes away.  If it does,
then your problem is the network tests; try to reduce the number of tests
you're doing or look into your network config to make sure there isn't
anything amiss (like DNS/resolver config).

If the problem goes away when you turn off the network tests, the it's the
CPU; either reduce the load on the system to make more resources available
to MailScanner/SpamAssassin, or look at upgrading your hardware.

Cheers,

James
--
Fortune cookies says: