"Required SpamAssassin Score" and Bayes

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at LBSLTD.CO.UK
Mon Jan 5 23:08:55 GMT 2004

Hi David,

>>> But we find more emails than we would expect still escape being
spam-tagged: their spamscores seem strangely low.

I too have seen similar patterns of spam scoring strangely low and spent
some time over the weekend using MailWatch to work out why this was
happening.

I checked the 'Received:' headers IP addresses via OpenRBL.org and realised
that although these messages were listed in quite a few RBL's - SpamAssassin
had not picked up on this - further debugging via:

spamassassin -D rbl=-3 -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf <
message 2>&1 | less

and I discovered that for some reason SA was 'trusting' the first host on
the received line and not checking it against the RBL's.  I ended up adding:

trusted_networks 127.0.0.1 10/8 172.16/12 192.168/16 <<external mx>>
<<external mx>>

in spam.assassin.prefs.conf and double-checked the settings by running SA in
debug across a range of messages to make sure that SA was checking the RBL's
as expected.

For good measure I also added:

# Manually add in the CBL until SA has it by default
header RCVD_IN_CBL      eval:check_rbl_txt('cbl', 'cbl.abuseat.org.')
describe RCVD_IN_CBL    Received via a relay in cbl.abuseat.org
tflags RCVD_IN_CBL      net
score RCVD_IN_CBL       5

And where these low-scoring spam were once slipping through - they aren't
now!

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Steve.