New Feature Request: Delayed Attachment Delivery

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Sat Feb 28 21:48:06 GMT 2004

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

>Aaarrgh...  Personally, I hate challenge-response type emails and
>I refuse to play that game.  Challenging email above ham and below
>high spam seems to a bonehead move to me.  Most of it is spam, a lot
>of it does not have a valid return address, and you want to send
>a challenge there??!!  Talk about making a mess of your mail queue.
>Julian, please stamp out the idea of challenge email now.
>
>While having a "pipe" option along with deliver, delete, forward for
>the actions menu is a generally good idea, it could be dangerous
>security-wise, just like the "pipe" action in sendmail is (hence the
>reason for smrsh).  You have to sure that your downstream process
>is secure, and not misused (like challenge).  Julian would be the
>poor soul blamed for such misues, and he doesn't deserve it.
>
>Jeff Earickson
>Colby College
>
>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Nick Nelson wrote:
>

>>Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:50:11 -0500
>>From: Nick Nelson <nnelson at 1SEO.NET>
>>To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
>>Subject: Re: New Feature Request:  Delayed Attachment Delivery
>>
>>David H. wrote
>>

>>>But I would strongly advise against this. There are situations where it
>>>is perfectly valid for someone to request a zipped file and they need it
>>>now, not in 2 hours. So maybe there has to be a trade off somewhere, I
>>>do not know :)
>>>

>>I'm going to go out on a limb here, and combine this thread with the
>>thread on TMDA intragration. It'd be great if for example, all file
>>attachments could be challenged, basically maybe if email has a file
>>attachment challenge it with TMDA, or even like the other poster said,
>>if scores is below X (X = Top threshold where you delete email.) and
>>above Y (Y=Threshold where if below, decided email is Ham)
>>
>>This way if the mail is legit, as long as the person challenged
>>responds, it gets through quickly.
>>
>>Definitely pushing it, but like you said..just spilling ideas ;)

In the meantime, why not install some more virus scanners? we only use
clamav on the mail filters an this has worked perfectly lately against
mydoom and firends, then on each mail server we run another brand of AV
scanner, one of them always picks it up.

Since the cost of clamav is so affordable, why not whack it on to run
side by side with macafee? The horsepower you have, base don the
comments i have seen rom other users in this list should easily handle
the additional scanning? Clamav installation is trivial...