Which messages to feed to Bayes?

Michael St. Laurent mikes at HARTWELLCORP.COM
Thu Feb 26 23:55:44 GMT 2004

Matt Kettler <mailto:mkettler at EVI-INC.COM> wrote:
> At 06:47 PM 2/26/2004, Michael St. Laurent wrote:
>> Excellent.  Okay, what about spam messages that have lost their
>> headers becuase the user forwarded it to me (Outlook strips the
>> headers when you do that).  Will it still benefit from looking at
>> just the body of the message?
>
> No.. SA requires a complete email to be trained, and it learns from
> both the headers and the body at the same time.
>
> If you can get them to forward you the message as an attachment with
> headers, or use some kind of redirect feature that keeps the headers
> intact you should be OK.. But plain forwards don't work.

I've not found a simple way of getting Outlook to do that.  My current
solution is to create folders on the Exchange server that they themselves
can drag and drop the messages into.

BTW, if anyone on list has discovered a way of doing this (getting the
Outlook/Exchange server combo to keep all the headers in a forwarded
message, attached or not) then please, please let me know.  I would love to
know how.  ;-D

--
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation