Custom SA rule FAQ addition.

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Tue Feb 24 21:34:55 GMT 2004

No problem. The lines to check and modify are:

[SKS] Select the SA rule sets you want to download:
# IMPORTANT: Edit this line to choose which RuleSets to update
[ "${TRUSTED_RULESETS}" ] || \
        TRUSTED_RULESETS="BIGEVIL TRIPWIRE BACKHAIR WEEDS2 CHICKENPOX
ANTIDRUG EVILNUMBERS";

[SKS] Typically this is /etc/mail/spamassassin on a MailScanner System
#### Local SpamAssassin/system Settings ####
#### Modify these to match your system. ####
[ "${SA_DIR}" ] || SA_DIR="/etc/mail/spamassassin";      # Change this to
your SA local config

[SKS] You'll probably want to set this to "true"
[ "${SINGLE_EMAIL_ONLY}" ] || \
    SINGLE_EMAIL_ONLY="";                           # Set this to "true" to
send only one notification
Place the script in cron.

[SKS] This needs changing for MailScanner.
[ "${SA_RESTART}" ] || \
    SA_RESTART="/etc/init.d/MailScanner reload";  # Command used to restart
MailScanner

To be really tidy search for the lines containing:

        restarting SpamAssassin

and change to :)

        restarting MailScanner

run the script from the command line before adding to a daily cron job.

Steve
Fortress Systems Ltd.
steve.swaney at fsl.com

> I've just used the script.  I did get the rule downloaded however; the
> rules are not being called with Mailscanner.
>
> I see Julian (in another posts) suggests adding custom rules to
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf.  If I add them here without scoring
> adjustments, will the scoring in the cf file be used?
>
> It seems this script is aimed and SA config files only.  The addition is
> not being made and I don't understand how the rules are supposed to be
> incorporated into SA.  I expected to see them in a local.cf file but
> they are neither in /etc/spamassissin/local.cf nor
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/ local.cf.
>
> Thanks
>
> Scott

dangerous content by Fortress Secure Mail Gateway
and was found to be clean.

Fortress Systems Ltd. - http://www.fsl.com