SNMP server down since installing mailscanner

Graham Scanlan graham at CELESTINEWEB.COM
Tue Feb 24 17:26:29 GMT 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:31:08 +0000, Julian Field wrote
> At 17:18 24/02/2004, you wrote:
> >On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:28:03AM -0500, Stephen Swaney wrote:
> > >
> > > This is caused by an instance of sendmail running before you start
> > > MailScanner. If you're on a Linux System (you don't say what OS you're
> > > running)
> > >
> > > Stop MailScanner:
> > >
> > >         service MailScanner stop
> > >
> > > Stop sendmail:
> > >
> > >         service sendmail stop
> > >
> > > make sure that sendmail is NOT started on boot:
> > >
> > >         chkconfig --del sendmail
> > >
> > > Make sure that MailScanner starts on boot:
> > >
> > >         chkconfig --level 345 MailScanner on
> > >
> > > Start MailScanner:
> > >
> > >         service MailScanner start
> >
> >I see instructions like this posted here often and just wanted to point
> >out that these are specific to MailScanner when installed via rpm on
> >redhat/fedora (and possibly other rpm based distros.) These are not
> >valid for MailScanner on all Linux installs, i.e. installs done from the
> >tarballs or debian packages.
>
> Correct, however I am sure you can work out how to translate them
> into the relevant commands for your distribution. You are all system
> admins, after all.
> --
> Julian Field
> www.MailScanner.info

Yes you are right Julian, I should have said however that this is a cobalt
raq550 that uses a modified redhat dist.
With info from the raq4 how to I could do the above however the problem I
have got is that my system does not recognise 'chkconfig'.
I am logged in as root and forgive me if this is obviouse but my experience
of linux is based on teaching myself.

Regards

Graham