the "ins" and "outs" of McAfee with MailScanner

Paul Arrington arringtp at MUSC.EDU
Tue Feb 24 16:36:40 GMT 2004

 (On my Red Hat install)

#-----Original Message-----
#From: MailScanner mailing list
#[mailto:MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Chris Yuzik
#Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 12:11 AM
#To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
#Subject: [MAILSCANNER] the "ins" and "outs" of McAfee with MailScanner
#
#Hi everyone,
#
#I'm running the 30-day evaluation copy of McAfee antivirus on
#my linux server with MailScanner. Previously, I was only
#running ClamAV, but for now, I'm running both.
#
#Although I'm quite familiar with ClamAV, I'm somewhat of a
#noob when it comes to McAfee. I have a few questions:
#1) How often does MailScanner check the NAI site for new DAT
#files? I couldn't seem to find anything on this.

By default, hourly. (/etc/cron.hourly/update_virus_scanners)

The direct mcafee update script is in /usr/lib/MailScanner/mcafee-autoupdate

#2) Is there a log file anywhere that I can look at to see when
#the DAT files are updated?

Not by default, but it would be easy to add to either of the above scripts.

#3) I understand that there are DAT files, extra DAT files, and
#super-extra DAT files? Does MailScanner update these too? Or
#do I have to do these manually?

They are manual.  I don't usually put them in automatically due to their
beta status.