Training SA

MailScanner mailscanner at SMITS.CO.UK
Tue Feb 24 11:03:51 GMT 2004

You make them clean the dust out of their machine with a straw and then
you run sa-learn against the offending messages with the --forget
option. ;-)

If this is a likely occurrence, give the spamchecker user only read
access (at least for a while) and manually check the folders for obvious
mistakes. You could even create a 'Forget me' public folder, folderdump
those messages in a separate directory and run sa-learn --forget against
them as part of the cron job.

Ultimately the whole point of feedback is that you assume that your
users know better than your filter. If this is not the case, then don't
give them access to feedback.

Bart...

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Pete
Posted At: 24 February 2004 03:58
Posted To: MailScanner
Conversation: Training SA
Subject: Re: Training SA

Michael St. Laurent wrote:

>Okay, I've got the feedback mechanism in place for training the Bayes
>engine.  Now for a few proceedural questions.  ;-D
>
>I have MailScanner set to add the {Spam?} tag to the Subject line and
>to make the original message an attachment.  Will either of these throw

>off the training process?  Is the sa-learn program able to extract the
>original message from the attachment and does it know that it should do
so?

>--
>Michael St. Laurent
>Hartwell Corporation

So what do you do when the silly users put all thier spam in the good
folder and thier ham in the junk folder an you have automatically
already run the sa-leanr stuff on it?

This would certainly be a frequent occurance if we implemented
this...how do you handle it?

The whole reason we havent used any manual bayes already is because we
dont want to create extra work, which i think could cause us.