the "ins" and "outs" of McAfee with MailScanner

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Tue Feb 24 10:11:21 GMT 2004

Chris Yuzik <chris at FRACTALWEB.COM> wrote:

>Although I'm quite familiar with ClamAV, I'm somewhat of a noob when it
>comes to McAfee. I have a few questions:
>1) How often does MailScanner check the NAI site for new DAT files? I
>couldn't seem to find anything on this.

That's up to your crontab.

>2) Is there a log file anywhere that I can look at to see when the DAT
>files are updated?

The autoupdate script by default says nothing when it does nothing,
and produces output when it makes an update, so normal cron behaviour
means you get an email when there's an update.

>3) I understand that there are DAT files, extra DAT files, and
>super-extra DAT files? Does MailScanner update these too? Or do I have
>to do these manually?

The only one of interest to us is the extra.dat files. Unfortunately
using them automatically doesn't seem to be particularly easy. It might
be possible to subscribe to NAI's notification email, pipe that into a
script which works out what's going on and if necessary goes to the
new virus's web page (whose URL is in the email) to find the link to
the extra.dat file. But I haven't written this script.

Tony.
SHANNON ROCKALL MALIN: NORTH OR NORTHWEST 5 TO 7. RAIN THEN SHOWERS. MODERATE
OR GOOD.