Emailing quarantined emails

Stephe Campbell campbell at CNPAPERS.COM
Mon Feb 23 17:19:36 GMT 2004

Clarification:

Mr. Freegard replied to me with the following setup USING MAILWATCH for
fixing what you
describe.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephe Campbell" <campbell at CNPAPERS.COM>
To: <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: Emailing quarantined emails

Mr. Freegard replied to me with the following setup for fixing what you
describe. It fixes all but when there are forms in the quarantined mail. I
haven't set up rules for this yet. You should note that released files are
sent from localhost allowing this to work.

To release blocked attachments you should use two rulesets to allow bypass
of filetype and filename checking - on my systems I do it like this:

MailScanner.conf:
Filename Rules = %etc-dir%/filename.rules
Filetype Rules = %etc-dir%/filetype.rules

filename.rules:
From: 127.0.0.1 /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.allowall.conf
FromOrTo: default /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf

filename.rules.allowall.conf:
allow   .*      -       -

filename.rules.conf:
As MailScanner supplied default

filetype.rules:
From: 127.0.0.1 /etc/MailScanner/filetype.rules.allowall.conf
FromOrTo: default /etc/MailScanner/filetype.rules.conf

filetype.rules.allowall.conf:
allow   .*      -       -

filetype.rules.conf:
As MailScanner supplied default

Doing it this way means that everything get's virus checked and you have a
log of the transaction in the MailWatch database should someone release
something they shouldn't - which is why I would recommend doing it this way
as you can't be too paranoid.

This works very well for me. Thanks again Mr. Freegard

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers