Building an MS-SA box

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Sat Feb 21 00:29:13 GMT 2004

Michael Weiner wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 19:18, Michael St. Laurent wrote:
>
>>You're right.  MS does NOT use clamd.  However, IIRC, the perl module *does*
>>use clamd.  So when you configure MailScanner to use "clamavmodule" instead
>>of "clamav" you eventually are using clamd.
>

> I dont know, i just finished installing the cvs version of clamav and
> made sure that ms was configured to use clamav rather than clamavmodule.
> And restarted ms and send some test messages from testvirus.org and they
> are all coming back clean.
>
> getting nervous here, can scan for spam but not virii....

Using CVS is a lottery at best. Why not use 0.67-1, only a couple of
days old?

Do you know that CVS comes without signature databases? Did you run
freshclam to get them?

After install, try clamscan in the current directory, at least if you
compile from source you get test signatures. Otherwise you can dowmload
from www.eicar.com. Just run clamscan in the same directory as
eicar.com, it should find it. If that work send it from Yahoo Mail or
similar to your MS server and check your logs.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.25-14,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.30, ClamAV 0.67 + GMP 4.1.2