Hello? (was Re: Adding Envelope Headers?)

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Fri Feb 20 21:55:26 GMT 2004

Julian Field wrote:

> At 18:25 20/02/2004, you wrote:
> >Julian Field wrote:

> > > Quite right. You don't have to deal with the volume of mail I do.
> > >
> > > And there's then the minor of doing my day job as well. If you want to see
> > > all the stuff I am responsible for at work, look here:
> > > http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~jkf/myjob.html
> > > I have to squeeze MailScanner into the odd minutes here and there when I
> > > don't have more pressing things to do.
> > > We are a department of 1800 people and 1000 computers, in which everything
> > > computer-related (and all purchasing) is run by a team of 9 of us. We all
> > > have very busy lives.
> >
> >Actually, looking over that URL, I think I do have a similar amount of
> >email.  I'm the primary email administrator for a university with
> >25000-ish active accounts in my email domain ... and I'm part of the
> >central campus IT group, where I have all of the regular duties in
> >addition to email (but I'm the only one primarily tasked with email, and
> >we're all over-tasked, so most of hte others in my small group don't
> >have enough in depth knowledge of our email set-up to do more than the
> >most basic issues with our email service anyway).  Thankfully, the
> >helpdesk IS a different group than mine.
> >
> >I have a similar issue with not always seeing messages, but when I get
> >into a thread I try to make sure I read all of the rest of the messages
> >in that thread (for mailing lists, I tend to delete everything as I read
> >it, and only leave in the messages for a thread I'm participating in, so
> >that I can easily find new messages in that same thread).  I confess,
> >there have been times where I have wiped out my entire "MailScanner" or
> >"SpamAssassin" folder without reading the pending messages (or the
> >folder for OpenAFS ... and especially the one for qpopper back when I
> >was on that list).  Since I put out my CommuniGatePro<->MailScanner
> >scripts, I try to at least skim the subjects for this list before I do
> >that, though.
>
> Yes, you're right, I'm a lazy arsed layabout who can't be bothered to read
> every single one of 1000 messages each day. Remind me to beat myself up
> over it. Oh yes, and what do I get for doing all this? Oh yes, I remember,
> absolutely nothing. Must try to forget that so I have more time to read
> every one of your mails.
>
> Get off my case.

To repeat what I sent in reply to the other (private) message you sent
along the same lines, I wasn't trying to beat you up in that message.  I
wasn't saying what you should do, I was just explaining what my
expectation had been (and why my expectation was that way), which
clearly wasn't an accurate expectation.  And to an extent I was trying
to comiserate and show an understanding of the amount of email you must
be receiving as well as understanding the job load.

I'm sorry if I'm not communicating well.  I'll leave you alone now.