What are they thinking?!?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Feb 20 21:10:51 GMT 2004

At 03:02 PM 2/20/2004, Craig Daters wrote:
>Especially if the text is all obfuscated? What do they get
>out of it? Surely no one actually buy's into this crap which is so
>hard to read??

1) never underestimate the capacity for a very large population of people
to contain at least one person that will do something which absolutely
defies logic.

2) Spam costs nothing to send.

3) The more you send, the larger the statistical population, and thus the
larger the probability of finding someone who will absolutely defy logic.

>Why do people put so much time into finding ways to get
>unreadable mail into our inboxes?

Because  they can make money this way.. and, despite what you might think,
they are actually quite profitable.

The word salads, etc are just a part of their efforts at filter avoidance..
some are experimental... after all, come up with an idea, send a bunch of
mail, see how much of it really gets opened by using an embedded image link
and count your hits...

That said.. the harder it becomes to get spam through, the more effort
spammers have to exert to make a dollar.. Theoretically if we can drive the
earnings per hour of spamming down below minimum wage, most spammers should
give up..